This is an external event hosted by the European Practitioner’s Network at the European Development Days and features CGD Expert Mikaela Gavas.
- David Watson Mwabila, EDD Young Leader, Zambia
- Koen Doens, Director General - DG International Partnerships, European Commission
- Mamadou Moussa Diakhitéé. Acting Head, Environmental Sustainability Division, African Union Development Agency
- Tanja Gönner, Chair of the Management Board, GIZ (Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit)
- Mikaela Gavas, Co-Director & Senior Policy Fellow, Center for Global Development
ABOUT THE EVENT
Africa in transition: how to develop a green and inclusive economy? A perspective from the African youth and European development partners.
Climate changes require a fundamental rethinking of our approach to the world economy. Africa has contributed the least to these changes, but will be the most impacted, while facing many other challenges: strong population growth, rising youth unemployment, inequalities, fast urbanization, biodiversity degradation, infrastructure dilapidation. Has green economy the potential to offer an affordable and sustainable transition to Africa while answering to these challenges?
After having provided the necessary scientific background, the panel will explore the perspective, the role and responsibilities of different actors: the European Union, an African Prime Minister, the Practitioners’ Network and its members, on behalf of the development partners, and the youth African activists and entrepreneurs.