*This event will be simultaneously broadcasted in English and French.
- Daouda Sembene, Distinguished Non-Resident Fellow, Center for Global Development
- Papa Amadou Sarr, Minister, General Delegate for Entrepreneurship, Senegal
- Franck Adjagba, Group Director of Business Development, African Guarantee Fund
- Alice Chapple, Director of Impact-Value
- Nadia Hasham, Trade Policy Expert, African Trade Policy Centre, UNECA
- Fabrice Kom-Tchuente, Managing Director, Finafrique
- Ibrahim Sagna, Global Head and Director for Advisory and Capital Markets, Afreximbank
ABOUT THE EVENT
Africa’s informal sector continues to expand, employing a large part of the growing workforce. At the same time, the small and very small businesses have daunting challenges in accessing financing and thus are vulnerable to small changes in the business environment. Without financing, their scale of operations remains small, and they remain trapped in the informal sector. To overcome these challenges and mitigate the adverse impact of informality on poverty and social inclusion, policymakers have taken multiple policy initiatives across the continent, notably in collaboration with non-governmental organizations, the private sector, and the development community.
Hosted by the Center for Global Development, this panel will focus on the opportunities and challenges associated with improving access to financing for the informal sector in Africa. The event will be an opportunity for panellists to express their views on innovative mechanisms that are being explored in this regard. They will explore ways to leverage effective partnerships among relevant stakeholders in the process of developing effective financing mechanisms, including with governments, NGOs, the private sector, and development partners.
If you have questions for our panelists, please submit them to email@example.com, tweet @CGDev #CGDTalks, or submit your comments via YouTube.