This event is hosted on the sidelines of the Global Forum on Migration and Development and is organized by the Center for Global Development (CGD), Labor Mobility Partnerships (LaMP), Enabel, The European Commission’s Joint Research Centre, and the OECD Development Centre. This event will be simultaneously translated in English, French, and Arabic.
- Raffaella Greco Tonegutti, Lead Expert Migration and Development, Enabel-Belgian Development Agency
- Dawit Dame, Manager, Jobs Creation Commission, Ethiopia
- Khadijat Abdulkadir, Manager, Digital African Women
- Linda Adhiambo Oucho, Executive Director, African Migration and Development Policy Centre (AMADPOC)
- Zainab Naji, Employment Expert, Enabel-Belgian Development Agency, Morocco
- Simon McMahon, [Project Officer], Joint Research Centre, European Commission
- Jason Gagnon, Development Economist, OECD Development Centre
- Helen Dempster, Assistant Director and Senior Associate for Policy Outreach, Migration, Displacement, and Humanitarian Policy, Center for Global Development (CGD)
- Rebekah Smith, Executive Director, Labor Mobility Partnerships (LaMP)
ABOUT THE EVENT
The youth population in Africa is booming, creating a large working-age group with the potential to contribute to labor markets around the world. African youth are nonetheless facing increased constraints in finding safe and regular pathways to countries of destination, a dynamic exacerbated by COVID-19.
This event, on the sidelines of the Global Forum on Migration and Development (GFMD) will bring together experts focused on up-skilling and moving African youth. It will attempt to answer several questions. Why, how, and where do young people in Africa want to move? What skills, experience, and income gains will they acquire by moving abroad? What contributions will they make to their countries of origin and their countries of destination? And how can major countries of destination open legal migration pathways to allow them to migrate safely, regularly and orderly, maximizing the potential of migration?